The Minn Kota Riptide Terrova has been redesigned and includes several new and improved advanced features. These features include the stow/deploy lever, a new lift-assist mechanism, AutoPilot, and the i-Pilot GPS System. The motor also has been redesigned to be extremely quiet when in use.
The Minn Kota Riptide Terrova has 80-pounds of thrust and comes with the all-new Weedless Wedge Prop. The shaft is constructed from an indestructible composite material and is backed with a lifetime guarantee.
See below for a detailed explanation of each of the new advanced features.
Note: most links in this article are Amazon.com Affiliate links, see Affiliate Disclosure, thank you.
Minn Kota Riptide Terrova Review
Volts: 24 volts
Max Amp Draw: 56
Battery Meter: Included
Thrust: 80 lbs.
Speeds: Variable speed
Prop: Weedless Wedge 2
Dimensions: 9.5” x 16.5” x 77.25” (24.13L X 41.91W X 196.215H cm)
Weight: 56 lbs – 26.76 Kg
- Ultra-quiet variable speed motor.
- 80lbs of thrust on only 24-volts.
- Indestructible composite shaft.
- AutoPilot and i-Pilot GPS enabled.
- Life-assist mechanism.
- Fresh and Saltwater Compatible.
- 2-year warranty.
- Not for the budget shopper.
Overview of Features
- Stow/Deploy Lever: The Riptide Terrova comes with a balanced motor design that helps for easy stowing and contains a master cut-off switch that automatically turns off the motor when it is stowed. Simply hit the lever, and your motor will deploy and be ready to use.
- Lift-Assist Mechanism: The lift-assist mechanism absorbs the motor’s weight and makes lifting the motor to the stowaway position effortless.
- AutoPilot: The autopilot system will let you be hands-free to focus on fishing and tying lines. The autopilot system automatically adjusts its motor speed to account for currents and wind.
- i-Pilot GPS System: Using a large LCD screen you can program into your i-Pilot the GPS coordinates of your favorite fishing spots, locations of underwater fish habitats, and record paths for trolling that can be duplicated automatically.
- Saltwater Rated: Minn Kota designates all of its saltwater rated motors “Riptide” series. The little extras make all the difference in the overall life of your motor whether you use it in saltwater or freshwater. To read more on this see our article Saltwater Trolling Motors- Why we Recommend them?
- Weedless Wedge 2: The Weedless Wedge 2 prop contains swept-back, flared blades for powerful and reliable prop performance. The prop shape pushes away weeds and will not eat your battery struggling its way through underwater vegetation.
Power, Durability, and Efficiency
When it comes to power, the Minn Kota Riptide Terrova possesses 80-pounds of thrust, which is an incredible amount of power.
The motor runs efficiently, only requiring two 12-volt deep cycle marine batteries, and the fact the motor has variable speeds only adds to the efficiency.
This Minn Kota electric trolling motor is durable with its indestructible composite shaft, the weedless prop, and a 2-year warranty covers the entire unit. An additional lifetime guarantee covers the composite shaft.
The Minn Kota Riptide Terrova trolling motor runs off of two 12-volt deep cycle marine batteries. The max amp draw of this trolling motor with its 80-pounds of thrust is 56 amps at 24 volts. This is running the motor on max speed the entire time.
The amount of time you can spend on the water depends on your two 12-volt marine batteries’ amp hour rating. Suppose they each have an amp hour rating of 100, which gives you a combined rating of 200. But because the batteries are running at 24 volts you will still only net 100 amp hours.
Additionally, you need to consider that if you discharge standard batteries more than 50% you will significantly reduce your batteries’ charge cycles or lifespan. Now you will not be running your motor on max speed the entire time, so you can figure in a little extra time into that equation.
However, if you do not want to worry about battery life at all, we suggest you install a Minn Kota alternator charging unit. The MK-2 is easy to install and will keep you on the water all day.
GPS, Sonar, and More
The Minn Kota Riptide Terrova has a built-in i-Pilot GPS that is great for programming the GPS coordinates of the best fishing spots and your favorite routes for trolling. The i-Pilot works with the autopilot to follow the coordinates of preprogrammed routes and maintain the desired speed.
If you are looking for a fish finder and/or a down imaging device, Minn Kota pairs nicely with Humminbird branded sonar technology. Unlock additional features by pairing your Minn Kota Riptide Terrova trolling motor with the Humminbird Helix 9.
For a detailed explanation of the additional benefits of pairing your Minn Kota trolling motor with a Humminbird fish finder, check out this short video brought to you by Minn Kota.
Who Is This Product For?
We recommend the Minn Kota Riptide Terrova for the experienced and avid fisherman that will spend a lot of time on the water every season. This motor will last several years and is designed to be used a lot and to take some abuse. Its durable design and protected onboard electronics will ensure it will hold up.
The Minn Kota Riptide Terrova is simple to use and includes many features that are not complicated to use. Because of this, a new angler would be able to use this motor with ease.
However, this motor might not be the best pick for your first motor because of the higher price point. Minn Kota has several other models that come with a lower price point and many of the same features that Minn Kota has become famous for over the years.
additionally, there are other options available for professionals and beginners. If you are looking high end and have Garmin electronics on your boat you might want to look into the Garmin Force. Along with Garmin’s world-class GPS and autopilot features, this motor will work seamlessly with most of their chart plotters and fish finders.
If you are looking for a powerful motor that is more budget-friendly and you are not worried about integrating your electronics, the Motorguide Xi5 might be for you. The Motorguide Xi5 is a solid product that is available in many sizes.
- Riptide Terrova 80 lb. 60″ Motor
- i-Pilot Remote
- Heading Sensor
- MKP-33 Prop
- Mounting Hardware
About Minn Kota Trolling Motors
Minn Kota has been making electric trolling motors for over 85 years. Their founder, O.G. Schmidt is credited with inventing the first electric gear-driven trolling motor in 1934.
The founder, O.G. Schmidt was from Fargo, North Dakota. Fargo is a city located on the border of North Dakota and Minnesota, where there are an abundance of lakes and fishing dominates the summer months. This is where the name Minn Kota comes from, a combination of the names of the states of North Dakota and Minnesota.
Today, Minn Kota is headquartered in Mankato, Minnesota where they manufacture and service motors for anglers all across North America.
Overall, the Minn Kota Riptide Terrova electric trolling motor is powerful, efficient, and comes with several new advanced features. Features like AutoPilot and the i-Pilot GPS work together to make sure your only job is to catch your limit.
Sit back and troll easily with preprogrammed GPS coordinates that will follow your favorite routes and steer you directly into pre-marked honey holes. Happy fishing!
Q: How many batteries do I need to run the Minn Kota Riptide Terrova 80lb trolling motor?
A: The Minn Kota Riptide Terrova electric trolling motor is a 24-volt system designed to run off two 12-volt deep cycle marine batteries.
Q: Is the Minn Kota Riptide Terrova available in other thrusts and shaft lengths?
A: Yes, you can find several other shaft lengths and thrust weights for the Minn Kota Terrova series of electric trolling motors.