If you are in the market for a brand-new trolling motor, it is important that you can choose a motor that will be dependable, low maintenance, and that will last for a long time. Trolling motors at the bare minimum should last more than five years. If you take good care of your trolling motor and buy one of the many tested and proven trolling motors brands on the market, you should have no problem pushing the ten to the fifteen-year mark. Also, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. So, if you go for the cheapest brands and models, expect a shorter life span. We have compiled a list of our top picks for the most trusted and dependable trolling motor brands on the market. Take a look.
Note: most links in this article are Amazon.com Affiliate links, see Affiliate Disclosure, thank you.
Minn Kota trolling motors have been around for over 85 years and are officially credited with inventing the first electric trolling motor. All Minn Kota trolling motors are manufactured, designed, and serviced in Mankato, Minnesota, USA. Minn Kota has authorized service centers and authorized servicing dealers all over the United States and Canada. They even have some service centers and servicing dealers in Sweden, Poland, Russia, and South Korea of all places!
All Minn Kota trolling motors come with a lifetime guarantee on their composite shafts for all Minn Kota trolling motors, a two-year warranty limited warranty for all electrical components, and a five-year warranty for all mechanical components. There are some restrictions, so read your warrant in full at the time of your purchase.
What Kind of Products Does Minn Kota Manufacture?
- Freshwater Trolling Motors: Minn Kota has a wide selection of bow-mount, transom-mount, and engine mount trolling motors. Each type of mount trolling motor comes in a variety of shaft lengths and thrusts.
- Saltwater Trolling Motors: Just like the freshwater trolling motors, Minn Kota has the same wide selection of bow-mount, transom-mount, and engine mount trolling motors. The key difference is the saltwater trolling motors are constructed with alternative metallic materials to prevent corrosion from salt.
- Shallow Water Anchors: Minn Kota manufacturers two high-quality shallow water anchors. The Talon goes down to 15 feet deep while the Raptor goes down to 10 feet deep. Both shallow water anchors have multiple control options with a control panel, wireless remote, and footswitch. Both anchors come with indestructible anchoring spikes and an automatic deploy and retract settings.
- Battery Chargers: Minn Kota also manufactures four different battery chargers that are preferred by many anglers. Choose between a portable onshore charger, on-board precision charger, on-board digital charger, or an on-board alternator.
Motorguide trolling motors, like Minn Kota trolling motors, are manufactured in the United States. Motorguide trolling motors are used by many famous anglers on the pro tour and have built a reputation for being dependable and hardworking. They are also known to provide more “bang for the buck” compared to other brands.
What Kind of Products Does Motorguide Manufacture?
- Tour Pro Trolling Motor: One of the top-rated trolling motors available on the market and used by many professional anglers. It comes with the most precise GPS anchoring system that allows you to stay on a target even in rough water and windy conditions.
- Freshwater Trolling Motors: Motorguide Freshwater trolling motors come in the Xi5, Xi3, X3, and hand-operated models. Choose from an array of different shaft lengths and thrusts. Also, choose models that include built-in universal sonar.
- Saltwater Trolling Motors: Motorguide Saltwater trolling motors come in the same models as the freshwater trolling motors, include saltwater safe metal hardware, and include the option of Pinpoint GPS technology.
- Pontoon Trolling Motors: Motorguide pontoon trolling motors come in higher thrusts and longer shafts. Choose between a 48-inch or 50-inch shaft and thrusts from 54 pounds to 70 pounds. Also, you have the option of wireless or hand control.
- Kayak Trolling Motors: The all-new Motorguide Xi3 kayak trolling motor is lightweight, compact, can easily be maneuvered from a seated position, and has the option of the GPS Pinpoint model or regular model.
Garmin is a world-famous brand known for their electronics more than anything else. Garmin makes electronics for the aviation, automotive, marine, outdoor recreation, sports and fitness, and most recently, the wearables market. From GPS navigators, dash cams, bicycle radar detection systems, fish finders, flight decks, and autopilots, Garmin is the most widely respected electronics brand.
In recent years, Garmin has expanded in the trolling motor market with the Force trolling motor series.
Phone: online support
What Kind of Products Does Garmin Manufacture?
- Garmin Force Series: The Garmin Force trolling motor comes in both a 50-inch and 57-inch shaft, either a 24-volt or 36-volt system, and with 80-pound or 100-pound thrust. Wirelessly connect to your Garmin Chartplotter and utilize the built-in sonar system. Choose between multiple control options like the wireless foot pedal or the wireless remote. The Garmin Force trolling motor is a technologically advanced trolling motor designed to pair with many of Garmin’s electronic devices easily.
Lowrance is another brand that is famous for its electronics. Renowned for their effective fish finders and chart plotters, Lowrance has recently created the Lowrance Ghost series trolling motor.
Phone: online support
What Kind of Products Does Lowrance Manufacture?
- Lowrance Ghost Series: The Lowrance Ghost trolling motor is immensely powerful, but at the same time, incredibly quiet. Available in a 47-inch, 52-inch, or 60-inch shaft and comes with built-in GPS anchoring technology. The Ghost’s propulsion technology increases thrust by 25% more compared to other trolling motor brands while having a power draw that allows the motor to run 60% longer on battery power.
Mid-level Tier Brands
Haswing Marine trolling motors have been manufactured in China by Ya Tai Electric Appliance Co. Ltd. Since 1995. Haswing appeals to anglers throughout Australia and North America by providing a lot of the same trolling motor features as other brands, but at a lower price. Do not let the made in China tag scare you off. Most of Haswing Marine’s trolling motors come with a two-year warranty.
What Kind of Products Does Haswing Manufacture?
- Cayman Series Trolling Motor: The Cayman Series is Haswing’s most famous series of trolling motors. The Cayman Pro is a bow-mounted trolling motor that has responsive control, an LED battery meter, and is suitable for both salt and freshwater. The Cayman GPS is a bow-mounted trolling motor that comes with GPS pinpoint technology to keep you locked in at your favorite fishing spots. Available with a 48-inch or 54-inch shaft, this has all the bells and whistles of the top brands at a lower price.
- Protruar Series: The Protruar Series is Haswing’s workhorse and most versatile trolling motor. The Protruar H 4.0, Protruar G 3.0, and the Protruar 2.0 are each powerful trolling motors that have brushless motors, incredible thrust, and feature an auto propeller cut-out system in the event of a collision in shallow water. The Protruar series can go in any body of water, at any depth, and are suitable for both freshwater and saltwater.
- Accessories: Some accessories Haswing manufactures include awireless foot remote controller with an LCD display and USB charger, single fishing rod holders, kayak water drains, kill switch safety lanyards, and quick-release plates for mounting.
Watersnake Motors are designed and manufactured in Australia and have expanded their offerings to the North American market in recent years. Watersnake has a wide range of trolling motors suited for both freshwater and saltwater. Watersnake is known for using high-quality components but still managing to keep the sticker price down compared to other brands.
Phone: +613 8787 6900
What Kind of Products Does Watersnake Manufacture?
- Kayak Trolling Motors: The Watersnake ASP series is ideal for kayaks and small canoes. Each Watersnake ASP trolling motor comes with an adjustable transom-mount fitting for easy installation. The propeller blade is specially designed to push through weeds and other vegetation easily. Very lightweight and portable, this series of Watersnake trolling motors can easily be removed and packed up into a car for easy transport and designed for both freshwater and saltwater.
- Watersnake Venom SXW Transom Mount Motors: The Watersnake Venom SXW series of trolling motors are incredibly versatile and are loaded with features. These trolling motors come in a wide range of shaft lengths and thrusts, making this series ideal for almost any size boat, small or large. The 26-inch shaft trolling motor comes in both 34-pound and 54-pound thrust, while the 30-inch comes in 34-pound, the 36-inch in 44-pound, and the 42-inch in 54-pound thrusts. All shafts are constructed with extra-durable composite material and are specifically designed for saltwater marine environments.
- Watersnake Advance Brushless Transom Mount Motors: The Watersnake Brushless trolling motor is incredibly designed to provide 70-pounds of thrust on a single 12-volt deep cycle marine battery. The Watersnake Brushless trolling motor comes in wither a 36-inch shaft or a 42-inch shaft and is suitable for both freshwater and saltwater. This trolling motor includes telescopic tiller control and even a USB charging port to charge your electronic devices.
- Watersnake Geo-Spot GPS Bow Mount Motor: The Watersnake Geo-Spot GPS trolling motor comes with built-in technology to give you anchor mode, pilot mode, and navigation mode GPS capabilities. The Watersnake Geo-Spot GPS trolling motor puts out 65-pounds of thrust and only draws 50-amps of power from a single 12-volt deep cycle marine battery. The Watersnake Geo-Spot GPS trolling motor comes with a weed-less 3-blade propeller, variable speed, built-in voltage protection, and is designed for both freshwater and saltwater use.
- Watersnake Fierce Bow Mount Motors: The Watersnake Fierce trolling motor comes with a 48-inch shaft and 54-pounds of thrust. This compact and easy to stow trolling motor comes with a stainless-steel shaft, 3-blade propeller, and a wireless remote-control FOB that can attach to your fishing rod. With the wireless remote-control FOB, you can easily steer your boat and adjust its speed from your fishing chair. The Watersnake Fierce trolling motor is designed for both freshwater and saltwater use.
- Watersnake Combat Bow Mount Motors: The Watersnake Combat trolling motor is an ultra-durable affordable trolling motor designed for a variety of boat styles. This trolling motor comes in a 48-inch 54-pound model and a 54-inch 65-pound model. Both models come with wired electric foot controls, a wireless remote-control FOB, composite mounting brackets, and stainless-steel shafts. Also fitted with a power cut-off switch and a circuit breaker to protect your motor.
- Watersnake Shadow MK II Bow Mount Motors: The Watersnake Shadow trolling motor comes with an indestructible composite shaft, variable speed wired foot pedal control, and are designed for constant saltwater exposure. These motors are also extremely quiet. Comes in three sizes: 48-inch 44-pound, 48-inch 54-pound, and a 54-inch 65-pound.
- Watersnake Hawser Cable Steer Bow Mount Motors: The Watersnake Hawser Cable Steer trolling motor comes with a 48-inch shaft and 54-pounds of thrust. This trolling motor is designed for precision control in rivers, inshore habitats, and waterways with numbers of potential hazards. The cable steer motor is ideal for the quick reactionary type of maneuvers required to get around weeds, shallow rocks, sand bars, and other potential obstructions. Runs off one 12-volt deep cycle marine battery, comes with a weed-less 3-blade propeller, and can be used in both freshwater and saltwater.
Newport Vessels has built a reputation of being a customer-focused marine equipment manufacturer from California who has provided quality products to its customer base since 2008. Newport Vessels ships direct to their customers from their warehouse in California to provide the best price possible. In addition to trolling motors, Newport Vessels also manufactures stand-up paddleboards and a variety of premium inflatable boats.
What Kind of Products Does Newport Vessels Manufacture?
- Mossy Oak Series Camouflage Trolling Motor: The Mossy Oak Series Camouflage trolling motor is designed for your next duck or goose hunting trip. The camouflage design is intended to blend in with your duck boat and allow you to move around your favorite waterway hunting locations. The Mossy Oak trolling motor is a 36-inch trolling motor that comes with 55-pounds of thrust, a large 3-blade propeller, and runs off of a single 12-volt deep cycle marine battery, and is covered under a 2-year warranty.
- NV Series Saltwater Trolling Motor: The NV Series Saltwater trolling motor is a versatile and tough transom-mounted trolling motorthat comes with either a 30-inch shaft or a 36-inch shaft. Ideal for smaller craft, this trolling motor still packs a punch. The 30-inch trolling motor comes in 36, 46, and 55-pound thrust, while the 36-inch shaft trolling motor comes with 62 and 86-pound thrust. This trolling motor also comes with a versatile 8-speed control system and a LED battery meter, and is covered under a 2-year warranty.
- X Series Electric Trolling Motor: The X Series Electric trolling motor is a basic setup at an incredible price. This motor comes in a 36-inch shaft with the choice of 40-pounds or 55-pounds of thrust. Includes an 8-speed control system and is covered under a 2-year warranty. Freshwater and saltwater compatible.
- Kayak Trolling Motor: The Newport Vessels kayak trolling motor is perfect for kayak anglers concerned with budget. This inexpensive but incredibly durable trolling motor comes with a 24-inch shaft, the choice of 36-pound or 55-pound thrust, and is covered by a 2-year warranty, intended for both freshwater and saltwater use.
- L Series Sailboat Trolling Motor: The L Series Sailboat trolling motor comes with an adjustable 40-inch shaft, 8-speeds, and provides enough thrust to push your sailboat out to sea or into shore. Choose between 62-pounds or 86-pounds of thrust.
- Pontoon Trolling Motor: This pontoon trolling motor has an extra-long 55-inch shaft and comes with either 55-pounds or 86-pounds of thrust.Also included are a LED battery meter, a 3-blade propeller, and a 30-degree tilt-able head. Ideal for both freshwater and saltwater conditions and covered by a 2-year warranty.
Ready to Purchase Your Brand-New Electric Trolling Motor?
With so many options out there on the electric trolling motor market, it is a good idea to consider all the trolling motor brands available to you. We have listed many different trolling motor brands for you to consider.
Whether you are looking for a top-tier brand like Minn Kota, or maybe considering to go with a lesser-known and more inexpensive brand like Watersnake, all the brands listed here have demonstrated some positive qualities that have made them worth mentioning. When buying off brands, we do recommend buying from trusted retailers and adding the retailer’s extended warranty on the larger purchases.
So, now it’s time for you to do some of your own research and hopefully find the electric trolling motor that fits all of your needs. Happy fishing!
How can I tell where a specific electric trolling motor has been manufactured?
If where your trolling motor was manufactured is a concern of yours, we suggest going directly to the brand’s website. Some 3rd party seller’s platforms might not have all the manufacturer’s information available, so go direct to the source.
Do trolling motors with built-in GPS technology work?
The quick answer is yes; however, you may want to do some research on how certain features of built-in GPS technology work during harsher conditions. Some features, like anchor-point and plotted navigation, might become compromised in rougher waters or extreme weather conditions. If the quality of the GPS technology is your main concern, you may want to consider a brand known for its superior technical capabilities, i.e. Garmin.
What trolling motor brands come with warranties?
Most trolling motor brands come with some form of a warranty. For example, Minn Kota has a lifetime warranty on all of its composite shafts and a two-year warranty on all electrical components. Newport Vessels has an across-the-board two-year warranty on all of their products. For specific details concerning a brand’s warranty policy, go to the brand’s website.